November 3, 2005
The Long-Awaited GreenHomeNYC Green Building Tour 2005 Sandwich Recipe
- 10 loaves Zaro’s Onion Rye Bread, sliced
- 7 pounds Sharp Cheddar Cheese, sliced thinly
- 60 Red Peppers
- 2 1/2 Quarts Hummus
- 4 pounds sun-dried tomatoes, sliced julienne style, rehydrated (boiled and let to sit and absorb water)
- butcher cut black pepper
- 10 heads radicchio, cored, washed, and spun dry in salad spinner
- 75 pieces of aluminum foil, cut in approximately 1″ x 1″ pieces
1. Wash the peppers and put them on the rack of the stove. Heat to 325, turning occasionally, till all are roasted. Burn your hands as you remove them from the rack and place in a container to cool. Once cooled, cut, core, seed and peel them, making sure to remove all things yucky. Set aside.
2. Place 25 paired slices of bread side-by-side (50 total slices) on a large countertop or cutting board. Place two large slices of cheddar on each half (each full slice is approx 8″x4″ and less than 1/8″ thick). Stack a layer of roasted peppers on each half, then a schmear of hummus. Sprinkle heartily with black pepper, then 6-8 slices of sun-dried rehydrated tomatoes.
Add a few pieces of radicchio to each sandwich, and place the other half of bread on top. Individually, cut each sandwich in half, making sure that all of the ingredients do not squirt out all over the place, and wrap in foil.
Stack neatly in a bag or box and refrigerate.
3. Drink a beer and take anti-inflamatory drugs to reduce your lower back pain.
4. Repeat steps 2) and 3).
5. Repeat steps 2) and 3).
6. Now you should have 75 wrapped sandwiches. Split them between two bus tours and deliver them, along with napkins, chilled water, and apples. Encourage people to recycle and compost all waste, and watch with disdain as they fail. Separate the garbage yourself, recycle and compost the waste.
7. Repeat step 3.