September 7, 2010
On Saturday October 2nd, GreenHomeNYC presents the 8th annual Green Building Open House tour! Participants get a chance to see green buildings all over New York City and absorb information about sustainable building methods and materials. As in the past the tours are part of the Nation Solar Tour put on by ASES.
When: Saturday, October 2nd. Between roughly 10am and 4pm.
Where: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan
Register online today
The tours are an opportunity to learn about energy efficient and sustainable building methods directly from building professionals such as architects, engineers, developers or owners. You will experience firsthand the inner workings, building systems and design details, as well the challenges and accomplishments that were faced by the professionals involved with these commercial and residential buildings.
This year the tours will be complimented by a larger day of action called The New New York
block party. It will include numerous DIY activities, educational events and fun that will bring to the street new ideas for a better, brighter future.
Previous tours have given participants valuable insight into a variety of green building concepts and features such as:
* energy-saving solutions
* photovoltaic and solar hot water technology and integration
* water-saving fixtures and appliances
* green roofs
* solar heating (”passive solar”) techniques
* allergy/asthma-sensitive building materials
* variety of green materials including paints, insulation, carpeting, renewably- harvested wood products, reclaimed and recycled materials
Throughout the day there will be tours of individual buildings in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan. Each tour will last roughly 1 hour and will include time to ask questions of your guide. You can see the profiles of participating buildings below. To RSVP for each building you are interested in seeing fill out the RSVP form at the bottom of the page.
More buildings to be added over the next few weeks. Keep checking back for an updated list.
1825 Atlantic Avenue – Residential Building – 11am
Arrow Linen – Huge Laundry Facility – 467 Prospect Avenue – 10am
– Commercial Building – 925 Bergen Street – 10:30am
*SOLD OUT* The Silhouette
– Residential Building – 272 21st Street – 11am
Eco Brooklyn Show House
– Residential Building – 22 2nd Street – 11am, 1pm and 3pm
– Cafe – 180 Smith Street – 2pm
Whitehall – Staten Island Ferry Terminal – 10am
*SOLD OUT* 28 Bedford St
– Residential Building – 3pm
*SOLD OUT* 140 West 4th
– Residential Building – 2pm
491 Fletcher Street* – Residential Building – 1pm
* Attendees at 491 Fletcher Street must wear good shoes with covered toes and thick soles. A hard hat will be provide by the building and must be worn while on site. Attendees will also have to sign a release of liability. People who do not sign the release will not be allowed on the site.