GreenHomeNYC is collecting detailed profiles of green buildings across the city. Information about buildings is submitted by owners, developers and managers, who also write the descriptions. If you have information on a building, please add it to the database.
227 East Third StreetA Green Residential Building in New York, NY.
- In a departure from the norm of trying to make a building energy efficient by adding fancy gadgets, four apartment houses in New York City have achieved extreme energy efficiency at zero extra cost by combining normal materials with better design.
Each building features a minimum efficiency boiler, R-13 wall insulation, standard aluminum frame windows, and concrete block walls. The result: the first energy efficient buildings built for the same cost as code minimum construction, which have the lowest measured heating energy use (3.8 BTU/SF/HDD) of any apartment building in NYC. Participants will see the finished product and also see the bare bones of the building.
227 East Third Street is between Avenues B and C
Closest subway trains:
F @ First Avenue
Walk east on Houston Street to Avenue B walk north on Ave B to Third Street at Thirds Street walk east
J&M at Delancy/Essex Street
Walk north to Houston Street, walk east on Houston Street to Avenue B walk north on Avenue B to Third Street at Third Street walk east
- Construction year
- Size in sq. ft.
- No. floors
- Green Energy Features
- Passive Solar
- Energy Efficiency Features
- High-performance Windows:Occupancy-sensing lighting:Zoned HVAC:Compact Fluorescent Lights:Radiant Floor Heating
- Green Products
- Low-VOC Paints and Adhesives:Recycled/Recyclable floor covering:Natural floor covering
- Water Conservation Features
- Low-flow fixtures:Rainwater collection:Low-flow or dual-flush Toilet:Landscaping for Water Conservation:Vegetated Roof
- Bicycle Friendly:Public Transport Access
- Window brand
- Crystal Window
- Amount and type of insulation
- Mineral Wool R-15
- Type of building (home, school, commercial, etc.)
- Chris Benedict, R.A.
- P & P Contracting
- Construction or renovation cost
- 4.9 million
- Building Style
- masonry bearing with cavity walls
- Fuel Type